Sunday, November 22, 2009

At least I didn't steal any babies.

I'm in the middle of a come to Jesus moment as I have recently been on a sinnin' spree! Seriously, one bad choice followed by an even worse action, rounded off with a really stupid situation. I'd love to blame it on the a-a-a-alcohol, but sadly I can't. Seeing as I'm pretty into my reputation and the way others perceive me, I'm gonna have to forgo the details of my ridiculousness. Let's just say on a scale of 1-dumb of how poorly my decision making has been, I'm dancing dangerously close to retarded. Hence, my come to Jesus moment.

Ecclesiastes has always been one of my favorite books of the ol' Bible, so I spent a good portion of my Sunday reflecting on its words. The book emphasizes that life from the human perspective - without the grace of God - is empty. Power, prestige, popularity and pleasure cannot fill the void. Ah, so true. I got a whole mess of void that still needs some filling.

Luther on Ecclesiastes: While in the first book [Proverbs] Solomon teaches obedience in the face of mad lust and desire, so in this book he teaches that men are to be patient and steadfast in obedience, in the face of unpleasantness and temptation, and ever to wait out the brief hour in peace and joy. What they cannot keep or alter, they are to let go; it will all work out.

Always a fan of Luther's lucid deductions, I'm hoping it does in fact all work out. I need to take a step back and shift my priorities a bit. The little Cosmo quiz revealing my quest for pleasure was not too far off. Ha! Cosmo you're so smart, I won't make fun you anymore next month.

I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart took delight in all my work, and this was the reward for all my labor. Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun. ~Ecclesiastes 2: 10-11

Ever notice how stupid decisions lead to even more foolish actions that eventually compound themselves into a hot mess of consequences you brought on yourself? I even saw this shit coming! (Probably shouldn't swear in a post riddled with Biblical connotations. I am seriously the poster child for lack of self control.) No excuses, which sucks because I love finding someone else to blame my problems on. You're off the hook this time DTabs!

This week is going to be a little bit different. Here's hoping at least.
  1. Attempt to refrain from jumping into situations that seem harmless enough, but could very well land you in jail or purgatory (if I believed in such a place).
  2. Actually consider others' feelings. Selfishness is not a pretty color on anyone, not even me.
  3. Take a moment to mull over the 5 minutes of fun you're about to have and how you will most definitely have more than 5 minutes of regret afterwards.
  4. Just don't go out in public.

These cryptic confessions are honestly not thaaat bad. I suppose that's left to ones own interpretation, but I didn't murder anyone, steal any babies, engage in any orgies, and I haven't taken to necrophagia or black magic. So that's gotta be worth something, right? Silver lining folks!

Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgement, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil. ~Ecc. 12: 13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment