Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My hero, Bob Vila

Most women have a vague sense of the man they desire or at least some of the necessary qualities conducive to holding their attention. For me, it's two simple attributes - I want a hero, and I want someone who rivals Bob Vila in the handiness department. I feel that these expectations are neither unrealistic, nor overly ambitious. It's really quite simple.

I want a hero. A man that makes me feel secure, protected, puts my needs before theirs, whispers impossibly romantic things, and takes charge. Some of my favorite movie heroes include: John Cena in The Marine. Don't judge me. When he first comes home, scoops his woman into his arms and carries her effortlessly to the bedroom, sigh. Not to mention he's frickn' ridiculous chasing down her captors through the woods...hero! Then there's Troy. Forget the ridiculous love story of Paris (Orlando Bloom) and Helen (Diane Kruger), it's the passion between Achilles (Brad Pitt) and his captive Briseis (Rose Byrne). Aside from Achilles' macho antics and astonishing physique, his tenderness is unparalleled towards his little prize. Finally, the legendary Scot, William Wallace (Mel Gibson) of Braveheart. The initial plight of Wallace to avenge his wife's brutal murder is very touching and admirable, but it's the tryst between him and Princess Isabelle (Sophie Marceau) that infiltrates my lusty thoughts ::breathe:: What does this mean for the men out there who do not possess the necessary skills to wield a longsword, nor find their beloved captured by sinister forces? Well, to be a 'modern day' hero, one must simply make their woman feel as if they would step up if ever a challenge arose. We're not talking some wild west showdown rather, troubles of every day existence must be combated. Compromise, listen, patience, reassurance, passion, keep these at the forefront of your ambitions and you will be a hero!

Bob Vila. I've loved this man since Bob Vila's Home Again and various guest spots on Home Improvement's - Tool Time. [For serious Vila votaries, you will also applaud his cameo on Hot Shots! Part Deux] Who doesn't admire a hybrid of Martha Stewart/MacGyver in the home? This man could do it all. Although this is the ideal, what I ultimately desire, I'm willing to settle for someone who merely knows how to get things done. Whether or not you know how to reconstruct, revamp, rebuild, or restore anything is beside the point. You simply need to figure out a way to get it done! I think nothing less of a man who calls a professional in to fix a problem, or fix your mistake. Just get it done! I don't ever want to know how my plumbing works. I don't ever want to know how electrical wires connect or generate energy. I don't care. If you want to take a stab at my electrical work and end up blowing every appliance and electronic I own, fine! So long as you tried and you write me a check. I don't want to know what words like torque, conduit, jig or chassis mean. I'm not saying I will sit idly by (collecting buttons) while you take care of everything, all I ask is you to do the things I detest. I enjoy cooking and cleaning, laundry and shopping for household items. If we can strike a balance where you pick up my slack and I yours, we're golden!

No comments:

Post a Comment